The Original Corpus Christi Lighthouse
In the late 1850s, Col. John M. Moore began dredging
operations in the bay to create a large harbor for Corpus Christi. The
U. S. Lighthouse Service purchased this site from J. Burnside and Co.
on March 13, 1857, and soon built a brick lighthouse to serve as a beacon
for vessels approaching the new port. The outbreak of the Civil War
interrupted plans for harbor construction. During the war Confederate
forces used the lighthouse as a powder magazine. In 1863, a Federal
invasion threatened, and a group of loyal Confederate youths decided,
without authority, to destroy the lighthouse arsenal to prevent its
capture. They filled a butter churn with gunpowder and placed it beside
the structure. The resulting explosion and fire damaged the tower, but
failed to ignite the storehouse of powder inside. The boys first hid
in a nearby cemetery, then fled to a salt marsh north of the city. Their
identities were, for years, a well-kept secret. After the war, repairs
were made to the lighthouse and it returned to use. 
The old beacon was abandoned in the mid-1870s and soon fell into disrepair. About 1878, city aldermen declared it a dangerous public nuisance and it was dismantled shortly thereafter.

The old beacon was abandoned in the mid-1870s and soon fell into disrepair. About 1878, city aldermen declared it a dangerous public nuisance and it was dismantled shortly thereafter.
<